Friday, November 19, 2010

Family Day and Graduation - Part 2 of 3

Wednesday Nov 3rd, it was finally the morning of Family day and I actually slept well so I was refreshed and so excited. Family Day Briefing started at 10am and they said to be there 2 hours early. Well, I had to go find a donut shop first per Brett's request. It took awhile but I found a Duncan Donuts. Then made my way back to the base. Let me just say driving on a base is confusing and a little scary. The map they gave me was not very good and I was scared to make a wrong turn into a restricted area, which did happen once. It didn't take as long as I thought to get on base nor park once I found Hilton Field, which is where the briefing was to take place. It was a very cold morning and overcast. I wished I had a heavier coat or a blanket. They had booths set up to buy t-shirts, jewelery, etc. I found an Army Wife t-shirt and it's pink. I know, I know, I know shocking. Brett likes me in pink so I bought it for him. Anywho, I went into the stands and found where D company was and got a seat in the 3rd row. I talked to a few family members near by. One family was from Minnesota, could tell from the first word they said, and another for Corpus Christi. Us Texans were cold. Finally the commander Lt. Col. Allen started the briefing. Told us a little about what went on during the 10 weeks, introduced us to all the Drill Sergeants, and rules for the day and what to expect for graduation the next day. Across the field was a line full of trees. We could see movement behind the trees and I texted Brett to find out if that's where they were. He won't tell me. I'm glad that he had his phone so that way I knew where to find him in formation. He is in the very back about 4 soldiers in from the right when they are facing the stands. Lt. Col. Allen told us that the person we dropped off 10 weeks ago is no longer a civilian, but an American Soldier. After that smoke grenades went off and shots were fired.



Here is a video of what happened after that. During the video I'm focusing on Brett's company the whole time. He is in the very back row. Sorry for all the movement, I stood up in the middle of it and then trying to find Brett over the camera.



Let's just say that I couldn't cheer during that moment. You can see Brett in the back row in the center.



After the song was over Lt. Col. Allen released the families to find their soldiers. They were all pushing down the little stairs onto the field. Thankfully I spotted Brett before heading down there. Once on the field I walked as quickly as I could and grabbed Brett's arm, we hugged for I don't know how long. I started balling too. I'm not sure if Brett cried because it was raining by this point. I won't go into all the details on what we felt, but let's just say it was the best feeling in the world to be in the arms of someone you love so much. I wonder if it will be the same feeling we have when we return to our Heavenly Father and our family members who went on before us. Well, the rest of the day Brett and I were able to spend together. We drove to the Solomon Center, a.k.a. the activities center, in order for Brett to get his picture taken as you see below. If you want copies of this just go to http://prophototogo.com/, click on Fort Jackson, then November 3, 2010.

E2 Jones, Brett
November 3, 2010

Isn't he HOT!!! hehe Well, while trying to find the center we spotted a Burger King, Brett was so excited. After the picture we got food and then found a little park next to lake to feast on our lunch. I'm not sure how long we were there, but it was so nice to finally talk face-to-face instead of through letters. We decided to head to Brett's barracks, because I had to pee, and try to find some of his buddies. I got to meet some really great people. Since it was family day they opened up the Officer Club and that's where we got to have dinner. The food was tasty and two of Brett's Drill Sergeants even had dinner with us. We also had dinner with the family of one of Brett's battle buddies. At the dinner they had videos playing of each company during BCT. We bought the DVD for Brett's company, so if you come over feel free to ask to watch it. It is pretty interesting. After dinner we headed back to the barracks and hung out until about 20h or 8pm. It was hard to leave Brett there, but just the knowledge that we would see each other the next morning made leaving not as bad. I then headed back to my hotel (This is when I drove the wrong way into a restricted area before leaving base). It was a long, emotional, wonderful day that I went to bed a little after 9pm. During both these days Brett's dad and sister were driving from Dallas to Fort Jackson and they arrived around midnight. I got a lovely call from the hotel's front desk since their room was in my name.

To be continued.....

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What an amazing experience! :) So glad you got to be there for it, the military is hard but definitely worth it! Brett looks good as a soldier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brett looks great as a soldier! I'm so happy for you guys and can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a thing to celebrate. An experience you'll remember forever. Way to go Brett!

    ReplyDelete